Tuesday 29 September 2009

Filming a Live Band

As part of our Music Video, I thought it would be a good idea to have segments of a live band performing the song, as the instrumentation in the genre (such as electronic instruments i.e. guitars and synthesisers) I felt called for some aspects of live performance. As part of planning for this segment, I decided to watch a clip of the song "Tarantula" being performed live by Pendulum, so I could note down ideas to carry forward when we eventually film the live music segment of our Music Video:

  • At the beginning of the song, there are long shots of the entire band, used almost to introduce the act and each member,
  • There are lots of sweeping shots and other interesting cinematography such as crane shots and extreme close ups to keep the audience's interest,
  • Cutaways are present usually showing aggression and attitude of the lead singer,
  • There is some extremely fast cutting and some clips are sped up, to add excitement to the live performance, something I feel would be effective in the editing stage,
  • There are many close ups of the instruments as they are being played, something I feel would look good within the style and genre of our Music Video.
Here is the clip I took this inspiration from, taken from an official DVD released by the artist:

No comments:

Post a Comment